Christ Lutheran Church is a vibrant congregation dedicated to worship, learning, and service to the community. Strong candidates will demonstrative leadership, creativity, and a passion for the faith and work of the church and its youth.
Reports to: Pastor
Direct Reports: Ministry volunteers
This position directs the Youth and Family Ministry program which encourages children, youth, and their families to live a life of faith, their parents to participate in the faith development of their children, and CLC adult members to involve these youth in the life of the congregation.
Four-year degree preferred
Experience working with children and/or youth
Current Texas driver’s license in good standing, and willingness to attain licensure to operate the church’s bus
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn and support the essentials of the Bible, Christian faith and practice, and the faith and confession of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Desire to work with children, youth and their families and help them to develop in their faith formation.
- A demonstrated knowledge of:
- Child and Youth development
- Family dynamics/family systems
- Age appropriateness of ministries, programs and events
- Child and Youth development
- Ability to work with people. Recruit, motivate and encourage them to volunteer.
- Organizational, planning and time management skills
- Strong written and oral communications skills with all participants and constituents (leadership, staff, youth, parents)
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suites (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), technology savvy
- Christian by affirmation of faith and example. Commitment to the mission of CLC and the ELCA. Conduct consistent with ethical requirements of church ministry, including maintenance of appropriate personal and professional boundaries.
- A self-starter. Willingness to innovate. Resourceful and enthusiastic. Compassionate, flexible and sensitive to others.
- A leader, able to inspire and encourage others, having a positive influence on youth.
- Positive demeanor and professional behavior
- Maintain confidentiality of all confidential, private, personal and CLC business matters
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize youth programs encompassing fellowship, learning, outreach and worship, such as youth Sunday School, weekly Bible study, mission trips and retreats, ELCA and synod youth events, and annual Vacation Bible School for children.
- Teach Confirmation and other classes such as First Communion, along with the pastor and volunteer leaders.
- Teach Sunday School
- Ensure that contact information for children, parents, and volunteers are up to date in the church system.
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers for Sunday School, confirmation, and youth group activities. Request background checks as necessary.
- Furnish announcements and information for CLC and Christ Lutheran Preschool publicity, including but not limited to bulletins, newsletter, eNewsletters, Facebook and other social media, calendars and bulletin boards.
- Keep parents, youth and volunteers informed through phone calls, letters and/or e-mail.
- Join the congregations on Sunday mornings to establish a connection with the congregation and families.
- Work a flexible schedule, with some evening and weekend commitments
- Work cooperatively with the Youth and Family and with the Spiritual Life Ministry Teams.
- Manages all expenses within the approved budget. Submits all receipts, backup, etc. as required in a timely and organized manner
- Other duties as required or assigned.
- Sit and stand for periods of 30 minutes to 1 hr.
- Run, jump as necessary for participation in games and activities
- 20/20 eye vision, with correction, to read/write documents
- Ability to hear over loud background noise (children’s voices)
- Able to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Intermittent stooping, kneeling, reaching, throughout the day for less than 15 minutes at a time
Standard church settings
Camping and outdoor settings
Outreach mission settings such as inner city